Layer cake is a must for me for Chinese New Year. Ever since i learn how to make my own layer cake i make them every year to serve my relatives and friends who visit us.
华人新年真的很多好吃的东西都能吃的到. 其中一样呢, 就是千层蛋糕.
我呢, 过年一定要有千层糕. '步步高升' 的意思..:D
This prune layer cake is moist, soft and with the prunes between the layers this layer cake taste even more delicious :p
这个就是我第一次学做千层糕的食谱. 是位马来朋友跟我分享的食谱, 砂劳越黑枣千层糕. 她非常肯分享, 真的很谢谢她. 这黑枣千层糕的蛋糕体很细幼, 口感好又不会太干. 再来,每隔开几两层再放上黑枣条, 可好吃的很. 甜甜带微酸.
是个给初学者的好食谱. 当然对有经验做千层糕的朋友更好更简单呢.. :D
I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #27: Through Thick and Thin – Kue Lapis Classics hosted by Sam of Sweet Samsations
Chinese New Year Delights 2013, hosted by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover.
Sarawak Prune Layer Cake
Recipe source: Kak Rosnah
**ingredients arrangement edited on 2 Feb 2013..^^
10 egg yolks
6 egg whites
8 oz castor sugar
7 oz Hong Kong flour
2 tbsp ovalette
1 tsp vanilla essence (optional)
2 oz cold water
15 oz unsalted butter (i used golden churn)
4 tbsp condensed milk
1 pack of 'sunsweet' pitted prunes (cut into strips)
1 - 8"x8"x3 square baking tray, lined bottom with parchment paper, do not greased the side of the baking tray
- Cream butter and condensed milk (ingredeints B) until pale and creamy. Set aside.
- In another (ingredients A) mixing bowl add in egg yolks, egg white, sugar, ovalette, hong kong flour, vanilla essence and cold water, beat until fluffy and thick. (Thick like the mixture of beaten sponge mix mixture)
- Mix (1) into (2). Divide into 3 times to mix in and blend well.
- Divide mixture into 2 equal parts. One part add a little green coloring and the other part leave plain.
- Preheat oven on top and bottom grill for 5 minutes.
- Spoon 5 tbsps of plain mixture into baking tray and spread evenly. Put into oven on TOP GRILL for 5 minutes...this is my oven time. If you are using your oven you may observe the time that suits yours from the look of your cake when it is brown on top means it is done.
- After the first layer, take out from the oven. Spoon in 5 tbsps of green mixture and spread on top of the first layer and arrange prunes on top. Top grill for 5 minutes or until the layer is brown.
- Repeat the same process until all the mixture is used up.
- Leave the cake cool in the baking tray. When it is cold unmould it slice and Serve!!
Hope you will enjoy this as much as i do~